share now

Type 2 Diabetes: What is it

What Is Type 2 Diabetes?

Type 2 diabetes also known as diabetes mellitus. It is a progressive and long-term metabolic disorder characterized by the body becoming resistant to insulin or the gradual loss of the capacity of the pancreas to produce adequate insulin as required by the body. 

Warning Signs of Type 2 Diabetes

This health condition is also characterized by high blood sugar, unexplained weight loss, frequent urination and increased thirst among others.

These symptoms usually occur slowly over a long period and are due to prolonged exposure to high blood sugar. In some cases, there is a sudden onset of the condition but is uncommon.

It is not clear what causes type 2 diabetes, but it is associated with lifestyle changes and strong relation to genetic factors. This type of diabetes occurs primarily due to lack of exercise and obesity, however, for those with genetic predisposition, the risk is higher.

Type 2 diabetes accounts for up to 90% of diabetes cases with the other 10% shared among gestational and type 1 diabetes.

Insulin Resistance

Insulin injection

As type 2 diabetes develops over several years, insulin resistance slowly progresses making insulin less and less effective at managing blood sugar. This causes the pancreas to respond by producing an increased amount of insulin to achieve what only a small amount of insulin could do in the past.

The increased production of insulin over time wears out the pancreatic cells responsible for insulin production. By the time this condition is diagnosed, the patient will have lost up to 70% of the cells.

At the advanced stages, type 2 diabetes becomes a combination of insulin resistance and underproduction of insulin due to damage to the pancreas. As the condition progresses so does the destruction of insulin-producing cells.

Managing Type 2 Diabetes

Those with type 2 diabetes can manage the condition with healthy eating and regular exercises. But with time, they will need to use tablets and eventually insulin injections. Starting the treatment or lifestyle change early can stem the loss of insulin-producing cells and minimize the complications.

Type 2 Diabetes Facts

Diabetes Complications

From the 1960s, the rate of increase of type 2 diabetes has increased markedly. By 2015, there were about 392 million people diagnosed with this condition compared to just 30 million in 1985.

The condition typically begins in the middle age to older ages though the rate has increased in younger people in the recent past.

Type 2 diabetes lowers the life expectancy by about ten years and if not managed appropriately and in time, may drastically lower the life expectancy of the adolescents and young adults.

It presents differently in different people and may be ignored for long before more complications compel the patient to go for testing. Each case has a different first sign and maybe a heart attack, issues with vision, or some kind of ulcer.

In spite of the family history and current physical state of life, one can effectively manage type 2 diabetes and live a healthy life with little or no complications and enjoy a long life.

The main factor is early diagnosis and changing your lifestyle as early as you can, even before the damage occurs to your pancreas and organs.

Type 2 Diabetes Success Stories

There are a lot of stories of Type 2 diabetes that don’t end well. However, Here is a story that will give you hope. Check out how John reversed his type 2 diabetes.